Amid long-awaited trips to the beach, barbeques, baseball games, and various other reasons to play outdoors in Miami this summer, thoughts of protecting your skin from the sun can easily fall to the wayside. Over exposure to the sun’s harmful UV rays can brutally damage our skin, as well as the underlying tissues, causing wrinkles, freckles, and even cancer. Just think, a UV rating of 10 can mean a burn in just ten minutes or less! Worst of all, spending time on the sand, water, or concrete can double your UV exposure, as they can reflect 85-90% of the sun’s rays.
To protect your most precious asset, Diane Walder’s Miami dermatology practice has put together some recommendations to keep your skin safe from the South Florida sun:
- Limit your time in the sun, especially between the hours of 10am-2pm, when UV rays are at their strongest.
- Wear protective clothing outdoors, such as a long sleeve blouse, long pants, and a hat. The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends a hat with a three inch brim, to cover your face, neck, and ears.
- Large frame sunglasses will provide vital protection for your eyes; harmful UV rays can contribute to cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Even on cloudy days, always wear a sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher.
- Be generous with the sunscreen; apply enough to cover the entire area being exposed.
- Apply sunscreen 15 minutes before heading into the sun; if you are wet, be sure to dry your skin fully before applying sunscreen.
- Sunscreen should be reapplied every 40-80 minutes; if you are sweating heavily, cut that time in half. Reapply sunscreen every time you get out of the water, as well.
The best overall form of sunscreen is a cream, but use gels for hairy areas like the scalp, and sunscreen sticks for around the eyes. Avoid spray sunscreens, which may seem more convenient, but they do not cover the skin evenly. Remember, new FDA rules prohibit the use of the terms “sweatproof”, “sunblock”, and “waterproof” on sunscreen labels, as these are incorrect and misleading.
Diane Walder Dermatology offers a wide variety of sunscreens and topical repair options, including Anti-Photoaging Sunscreen SPF 45, Chemical Free Sunscreen, Intellishade SPF 45, DW Cell Rejuvenation Serum, DW Green Tea antioxidant serums and creams, as well as retinol products. To refresh photodamaged skin, consider resurfacing procedures eMatrix™, Laser Genesis®, Limelight (IPL), Fraxel re:pair and chemical peels. Contact our office at 305.866.2177 to find out which product and procedure is right for your skin.